In an effort to highlight some of our exceptional physicians during Black History month, Dr. Bessie Ingram-Nunally MD, gave us time to discuss her passion for her patients in her primary health care practice.
Many of us have a tendency, especially as we age into our 30s, 40s, and 50s, not to see a medical professional on a regular basis. It usually takes an acute illness or a prolonged issue before we begin to seek care. This results in higher utilization of acute care centers such as urgent care or emergency rooms. Using urgent care or the ER as our regular doctor visits can be costly and counterintuitive. Finding a primary care physician can help you formulate plans for a healthy adulthood and may prevent many long-term chronic conditions and complications before the need for urgent care or emergency care becomes necessary.
A primary care physician can help you with:
- disease prevention and screenings
- diagnosis and treatment of many types of illness
- education related to disease prevention or treatment
- injury care
- coordination of your care
One of the issues patients encounter is accessing the appropriate health care system. We must continue to work as a community to increase access to care by removing or minimizing the barriers many individuals in Chattanooga still encounter. Healthcare delivery is not experienced equitably by all populations. Minority patients seem to have more barriers over their lifetimes, and it is my commitment to help them remove those barriers so they might obtain the appropriate care needed.
Erlanger’s three Community Health Centers offer affordable, accessible, high-quality medical, behavioral health, and dental care.
- Same day appointments. Call for availability.
- Premier Health – 648-7770
- Dodson Avenue – 778-2800
- Southside – 778-2700
- All locations are now offering telemedicine visits. These appointments are available for existing patients. Please call our office for scheduling.
- Focus on comprehensive, multi-specialty, primary care.
- Board-certified or board-eligible pediatricians, internal medicine specialists, nurse practitioners, and dentists.
- Accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).
- Cutting-edge disease management and wellness services to our patients and communities we serve.
- Access to emergency care, hospitalization, or other specialized services through Erlanger Health System.
- Health care provided regardless of the patient’s ability to pay
For more information on primary care and how it can positively affect you click on this article “5 Reasons Why Primary Care is Essential.”