Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 12 oz chicken sausage, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cooked and drained of excess moisture
- 24 oz no-sugar added marinara sauce
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Nonstick spray
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Bring an extra-large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook sausage until browned. Transfer to large bowl.
- Using a spiralizer, cut zucchini into spaghetti-like noodles. (If you don’t have a spiralizer, peel zucchini into super-thin strips.) Roughly chop to create shorter noodles. Transfer to large bowl with sausage.
- Re-spray skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until slightly softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to the large bowl. Add spaghetti squash, marinara sauce, egg whites, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pain, and smooth out the surface. Top with cheese.
- Bake until dish is hot and bubbly, cheese has melted and lightly browned, and any liquid on top has evaporated, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. If needed, blot away excess moisture.
Servings per recipe: 8
Nutrition Facts per serving: 208 calories, 14 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbohydrate, 3 grams of fiber, 10 grams of fat